Adoption/ Home Finding

Adoption/ Home Finding Services are provided by the Children's Home of Wyoming Conference (CHWC) in partnership with the Department of Social Services. 

For more information, call 772-6940 


Families First

 Main Number:  607.778.3080

 Referral Number:  607.778.3089

 Unit Description:

 This program is designed to provide in home support and assistance to families who are at risk of having children placed outside of the home OR to help children and families during a child’s transition back into the home following an out of home placement.

 The goal of the Families First program is to build on the strengths of the family to help the family resolve the crises that threaten family stability and assist the parents in establishing a safe, nurturing environment for the children. 

 Families First provides short term, intensive, family focused and strength based  in-home interventions.  Concrete and psychoeducational/therapeutic services are provided as well as advocacy and referrals/linkages to other appropriate and needed supports.  Families First staff are available 24/7 via an emergency on-call system and Families First workers maintain regular communication with referring workers and other service providers involved with the family to ensure continuity of treatment. 

 Referrals can be made to the Families First program from the Broome County Department of Social Services (Services Units) or Broome County Probation by calling 607.778.3089.  There is NO paperwork required on the part of the referring worker.

 Person in Need of Supervision (PINS) Diversion  

Intake Phone Number: 607.778-2745

Unit Description:

What is PINS (Person In Need of Supervision) Diversion?

 A Person In Need of Supervision (PINS) is a person less than eighteen years of age who does not attend school in accordance with Article 65 of the Education Law or who is incorrigible, ungovernable or habitually disobedient and is beyond the lawful control of the parent(s)/guardian(s), or other lawful authority, or who violates the provisions of Penal Law Section 221.05. A pattern of behavior must be documented for complaints involving PINS behavior, other than running away or marijuana possession.  If a child is a runaway, a missing person’s report should be filed with the local police agency immediately and before contacting the Department at the number listed below. 

Complaints regarding PINS behavior are handled in Family Court.  PINS behavior is non-criminal behavior such as school truancy, running away, staying away, refusing to follow household rules, etc. A PINS complaint can be filed by parent(s)/guardian(s), school, agencies, or the police.  It is mandatory that PINS Diversion services be offered before the child can be referred to Family Court.   The goal of PINS Diversion services is to provide services to address the underlying issues that are causing the PINS behavior and to prevent the child from being referred to Family Court.  Every effort is made by the Department to provide comprehensive and intensive services.  Parents are expected to fully participate and engage in services as well as the child.

The PINS Diversion intake line phone number is 607-778-2745.   A caseworker will listen to your situation and offer advice on how to proceed.  Not all acting out behavior qualifies for PINS Diversion services.  The PINS Diversion services caseworkers are experts at community services and will be able to lead you in the right direction. 


Click on link for Special Announcement:


 PINS Diversion Staff